This sub is for general and technical questions about using DNMs.
Make sure you read the DNM Bible before you do anything else!
Before posting make sure you also give the rules a read!
by /u/TerrificTerror · 1 votes · 1 month ago
First time using Kleopatra for PGP and I've looked through the guidebook but I haven't been able to get an answer.
Here's what I'm doing:
1. Copy vendor's public PGP key from market, paste to text file and save it as vendor.asc (have also tried saving as .key and .pgp)
2. Go to Kleopatra, click import and select the saved text file with the vendor's public key.
3. At this point it says Total number processed: 1. Imported:1.
4. I can now see the key under Imported Certificates in Kleopatra, although it has changed the name to "bbbbb" for some reason when the key file was named something else.
5. I click "Sign/Encrypt" and sign as my market ID, uncheck "Encrypt for me" and check "Encrypt for others".
6. I choose the imported certificate now named "bbbb" as the person I want to encrypt for then click Sign.
7. It's successful, but when I go to the newly created .gpg encrypted file and open it it doesn't show a normal PGP encrypted message but a whole bunch of highlighted red crazy characters and boxes.
8. Instead it says There was a problem opening the file. "The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.
You can also choose another character encoding and try again."
Where exactly am I going wrong? I just want to be sure I'm importing and encrypting correctly but I don't know what's going on at all.